ICE: Introduce, Cite, and Explain The Proof
Body paragraphs in academic essays contain proof that supports debatable main a few ideas that can be found in subject sentences, and accountable authors make certain to introduce, cite, and explain quotes and paraphrases utilized as evidence.
INTRODUCE: Introduce all your valuable quotes using introductory phrases. Below are a few examples:
- In accordance with Michael Smith, “you should make use of the author’s first and name that is last you cite that writer the very first time in your paper” (1).
- As Smith describes, “you can introduce your quotes having a quantity of different expressions” (1).
- Smith shows that “if the introduction to your quote is not a clause that is dependent it does not must be followed closely by a comma” (1) writing homework.
- Smith observes the next inside the article: “by using a colon to introduce an estimate, you want a complete sentence preceding the colon” (1).
CITE: Provide appropriate parenthetical citations for several quotes and paraphrases ( not summaries). Check out the appropriate style guide for guidelines, e.g. MLA, APA, and Chicago. Here are a few directions for MLA design citation:
- In the event that author’s title seems within the introduction to your estimate or into the paraphrase, it doesn’t need certainly to appear in the parenthetical guide, once the citations above illustrate.
- In the event that author’s name does not can be found in the introduction into the estimate, the name must can be found in the parenthetical guide. Start to see the following exemplory case of a cited paraphrase:
Some professors at UM just take points away from your paper that is final grade you don’t cite paraphrased or quoted product precisely (Smith 1).
EXPLAIN: remember to explain your quotes. Provide analysis that ties them back into most of your concept / topic sentence. Put simply, touch upon evidence to be able to include it in to the argument you’re making.